Popular Posts

Friday, 16 January 2009

Rotting corpse found in hospital bathroom

from I Luv SA:

Another of those , only in a banana republic stories

THE angry family of a Bathurst man whose badly decomposed body was found in a bathroom at the Port Alfred Hospital – a week after he was reported missing – have demanded answers from the institution.

A shocked staff member found 46-year-old Mhlangenqaba Zono‘s badly decomposed body after detecting a foul smell from the bathroom. The hospital has now vowed to investigate.

“We want a thorough investigation. If he died due to the hospital‘s negligence, we will take this matter further,” said Simon Tembani, the boyfriend of Zono‘s sister. Hospital board chairman Thora Ford and hospital manager Gift Tshaka later discussed the matter with Zono‘s family. Zono, who was unmarried and jobless, had been admitted on December 15 with asthma.

Three days later, the hospital notified the family that he had gone missing. “They called us to say he had escaped and that one of the staff had checked the entire premises.

They said they had then reported it to the Bathurst police, even though the hospital is in Port Alfred and the disappearance occurred there.” Tembani said he wanted to know why the hospital had not reported the case to the Port Alfred police and why the hospital had not been properly searched.

The family said although the body was in a bad state, they had been able to make a positive identification. They were also angry that the hospital had allowed Zono to be buried before an autopsy could be carried out.

“The doctor said he died of natural causes but how can he know if an autopsy was never done?”

The hospital allegedly told the SAPS that the man had died from natural causes, most probably cardiac arrest following an asthma attack. Port Alfred police spokesman Captain Mali Govender said an inquest docket had been opened and forwarded to the public prosecutor for a decision. The hospital said it would investigate why an autopsy had not been done.
Now one has to wonder how often they clean the bathrooms and toilets in this hospital

No comments: